Monday, July 9, 2012

Ani Rose's First Day

Today was Ani's first day at the YMCA.  She has visited many, many times when we've gone to pick up her brother, but this is the first time she has been left there.  So, some of the routine was the same.  Todd and I went together.  Todd got them both a pretzel at the front desk.  Then, we dropped Norrin off in his classroom first and he gave us all hugs and kisses.  All of this was familiar to Ani.  Then, we walked to her classroom (about ten paces away).  She was handed off to Miss Star and I said a quick goodbye because Ani was already getting anxious with all the adults around her.  Todd stayed to take a quick photo with his iPhone.  Then, we slipped out the door, sat on a bench and I cried...because that's what I do any time there is any big event in our children's lives.  And any time I cry, Todd is there to hold my hand, to offer words of reassurance, to guide me through the scary changes that seem to happen so quickly.  I am blessed.  My children are amazing people and I am truly honored to be their mother.  It can be so overwhelming to see how fast my babies are growing up.  I love them so fiercely and would be perfectly happy to hold them in my arms all day long, every day, but Todd is there to remind me.  He's there to help me see that they have to move forward, that we have raised them to move forward, that they are independent people because we know when to hold on and when to let go.  And even after I dropped my babies off, I was able to look up through my tears and see the man who helped create those beautiful children and know that in the end, he is there and everything will be alright. 
  


No comments: