Tuesday, June 14, 2011

How I've Spent My Maternity Leave

My maternity leave is more than half over. I can't believe how fast the time has gone and how big my little girl has grown in that time. As a slightly more seasoned parent, I've learned to take it a bit more easy this time around. I still feel a little bit guilty every time I resort to pancakes or crackers and cheese for dinner, but that guilt only lasts about 5 minutes. I snuggle my baby girl and I nurse her as frequently as she lets me, but this time around, I put her down to use the bathroom :). It helps that she is a very easygoing child. She's more willing to accept snuggles from other people, she doesn't always have to sleep right next to her food source and she is okay with quiet observation until its her turn for some attention. The house is still messy, but the dishes don't spend as much time in the sink as they did when Norrin was an infant and I have plenty of time for some knitting :) . I'm currently working on a cardigan. I started this project about a year ago. Then, I put it down when I was about halfway through because all that time I had been following the pattern incorrectly. Now, as part of a summer knit along, I've started over. The yarn was a gift from Todd for our wedding anniversary and I need to make something beautiful that I know I'll wear. A cardigan is a safe bet and the color will be lovely for fall. Other than that, I've been eating...a lot. I forgot just how hungry a nursing mom can get. The hunger is far worst than any hunger I experienced while pregnant. I have no problem packing away three, yes, three breakfasts. Yesterday, we didn't have any eggs, so I just reheated leftover Chinese food and that was my meal at 10 am. Its disturbing to me until I realize that not only do I feel better when I eat every 2-3 hours, but I have a freezer full of milk for my baby girl and very little fear of having to spend money on formula and the needle on the scale hasn't creeped up at all for me. As for Ani, today was her almost 2 month appointment and she is now 12 pounds, 8 ounces and 24 inches long. So proud to be the mama of a thriving infant.

Snuggling a sleepy Ani Rose.


The Hampton Cardigan in a cheerful yellow-orange.




No comments: