Thursday, August 28, 2008

He's Got Legs And He Knows How To Use Them

While we were at Grandmom and Grandpop Milligan's house yesterday, Norrin decided to make a serious effort to walk. In Ocean City he walked between the chair and a coffeetable a couple of times, but there was nothing as consistent as yesterday's performance. At least five or six times, he practiced moving from one piece of furniture to another. Anything more than five steps and he plopped down on his butt, not trusting himself to go any farther. Every time we cheered and applauded, desperately trying to convince him to keep going. When we got home, he tried his new trick along our hallway, going from wall to door frame and back to wall. So, we are now dealing with a walking child! I have to say as a first-time mommy, I have mixed emotions. I'm so excited for him...every new skill is so cool to watch. However, nothing is safe now. And if he walks half as fast as he crawls, Mommy should just cancel her gym membership because I'll be getting a heck of a workout at home.

As for the napping experiment, I really only got the opportunity to practice it once yesterday...thanks to his new skill, he fought sleep worse than he has ever fought sleep before. We managed to get an hour into him before going out to dinner with Grandmom and Grandpop and man, was he a riot at the diner. He was talking up a storm and at full volume. He doesn't form many actual words right now, so I assign my own meaning to them. I'm pretty convinced he says something that sounds very much like, "I love you" at least once a day. Motherly delusions- you gotta love 'em! Anyway, he enjoyed a sample of our food- soup, applesauce, eggplant, chicken, cauliflower, potatoes and pasta...I should have a truly pleasant diaper awaiting me today :). Grandmom even gave him some vanilla ice cream...then I wondered why he wouldn't settle down until almost 9:30 pm! That's what grandparents are for though...my Poppy used to give us a steady diet of Mountain Dew, Dorritos and Twizzlers.

I'll have to try to get some pics of him walking at some point today. Its pretty darn cute...but I think everything he does is pretty darn cute :).

1 comment:

Amy Mae said...

Gotta love grandparents - my dad used to let Keith drink his iced coffee at 4pm when Keith was about a year old. That made for some fun nights!