Friday, June 12, 2009

Sleep Is For The Weak

So, Norrin was up for about an hour from 3:30 am til 4:30 am. He tossed and turned for about an hour before that and then I guess he just decided to stop trying. After using every trick in my book (which were all performed in a half-assed, I'm-too-tired-for-this sorta way), Norrin was finally able to go back to sleep...but the damage had been done. Fortunately, I was called off from work again (I guess we finally have performed surgery on everyone in Abington), so we slept until 9 am. That did not improve Norrin's mood at all and its been an uphill battle all day. He's been easy to melt all day, fought nap time to the point where I almost gave up and has more or less made me wish I was a bird...so I could fly far, far away. However, he is currently napping and with that, I'm hoping for an improvement in temperament. Either way, I'll take him outside in the sweltering heat and let him play with the hose. He's just learned you can drink from it and that is very exciting to him. He has also learned how to climb up on the toilet in the powder room and drink from that faucet...carrying on a long tradition of kids who can't be bothered to get themselves a cup. As for me, I should probably be napping too. Instead, I finished Friday Night Knitting Club...and cried at the end...and I think Norrin is easy to melt today :). Very good book...a bit long, but there's a lot of women's lives to cover, so completely acceptable. I've also worked on a few more rows of my cotton tank top. At the rate I'm going, that will be completed by August...August 31st. I have to work tomorrow and Sunday...we'll see if I'll be working extra hard for that paycheck. I have definitely been spoiled with having the past few Fridays off. For some reason, Norrin always seems to go to bed at a semi-reasonable hour on Thursday nights and Todd and I always have time to spend together. Last night, we watched a movie from our collection. One of us picks three movies they would like to watch and the other person gets to pick one from that selection. We chose Vanilla Sky. We probably should have picked something with more violence and profanity, like Jarhead or 300, but we both seemed to be in a kooky, slightly artsy in a not-so-deep way kind of mood. We made popcorn...don't tell Norrin...that child would live on popcorn if I let him...and just enjoyed being just us...not Ma and Da...just Jaime and Todd. It was a nice, quiet evening. Before I go, I will tell you that today was not a total black cloud. Norrin has also been very entertaining (between tantrums). We watched Finding Nemo...for about the thousandth time...and he's starting to quote it. A proud moment for a movie-obsessed mama. "Boom" when the bombs go off, "Nice" which is what one bird says to another and while not a quote- "oh no" when Marlin thinks Nemo is dead. Its pretty gosh darn cute. He's also very stubborn about getting his own utensils from the drawer...he will not use the one I bring for him. And Todd got him his first electric toothbrush. He has brushed his teeth three times today. It has Diego on it (he has a current infatuation with both Dora and Diego...they show lots of animals on their shows) and he knows how to turn it on and off. So, while I'm suffering from a slight case of mommy burnout, at least I am still able to see how amazing my lil monster is :).

No comments: