Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Perfect Day For A Picnic

This morning, after my giant cup of coffee, I got it in my head that I wanted to go on a picnic. With Norrin's help, we packed our picnic basket with a water-proof tablecloth, cheese, crackers, pb&j, big bottles of water, grapes and some napkins. I also packed another bag with a change of clothes for Norrin, sunblock and a knitting project. After this was complete, I had no idea where we were going to picnic. I told Norrin we needed to bring his stroller, which he translated into he needed to get into his stroller. Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth (whatever that means), I decided our picnic should be relatively local, but I wanted something a little more open than the park two blocks from our house. We went to the park near the golf course, which is about a ten block walk...part of it uphill...thank goodness I packed a lot of water. It turned out to be a great idea. I always meet friendly people there. One mom had her daughter and son with her and her son was Norrin's age. He also found a 3 year old and 5 year old to play with. Despite how old the playground equipment is, I find it to be much safer than some of the newer parks. There aren't as many scary gaps and the ones they do have are easier for me to get to in a hurry, the slides aren't super slippery fast and they're surrounded with that great cork stuff so there's no wood chips in our shoes and I don't panic when Norrin trips. This playground is also surrounded with huge fields for Norrin and the other kids to run and there's a hill that's just perfect for rolling down...although Norrin kind of rolled along the side instead of down...hmmmm. Norrin helped the older kids find caterpillars...and once they found some of their own, Norrin tried to steal them away. A couple of them did not make it...my son's grip is very determined...I was rinsing bug guts off his hands before lunch. Since the park is so big, we found a quiet spot under a tree for our picnic lunch. After lunch, Norrin was done and he willingly climbed into his stroller for the journey home. We stopped off for a little ice cream and ran into Da just as we were leaving Wawa. Todd had stopped off at the house for his lunch break. While we didn't get to spend lunch with him, we got lots of kisses before he went back to work...nothing better than sticky ice cream coated baby kisses :). Norrin took his nap quite willingly after that...its amazing what a couple of hours running around can do for my child.

No comments: