Friday, May 15, 2009

So Much To Write About

So, I received a phone call yesterday from my manager to see if I wanted the day off...YES! Usually that means they have too many nurses scheduled and not enough rooms running. Whatever the reason, I was more than happy to jump at an opportunity to spend one more day with my lil guy. I'm hoping for a long nap because there's lots to update on. Mother's Day was a work day for me, but my hubby and son made it perfect by setting up my gift- a Keurig K-Cup coffeemaker. There was also a handmade card, which I brought to work with me. The other gift I received was the gift of only one case in the OR. It was not a whirlwind day of feeling like a chicken with my head chopped off and for that, I am truly grateful. On Monday, Todd and I went to IKEA with Norrin to return our art table lamp. We thought we just bought a shade, but it was a hard wire lamp...and we're just not ready to commit to a permanent lamp in the corner. Before we could buy a shade, Norrin smacked his head on a bed frame. It made a loud thunk that several people walking by had to comment on and I was expecting a huge egg on his head. Unfortunately, it was something that required a little more attention. He cut himself just enough to require stitches. I was really mad at myself- one because I seem to be under the mistaken belief that I can protect my lil boy from everything and two because I chose Children's Hospital of Philadelphia to take him to. I guess I thought that a close by hospital that can handle a child Norrin's age in need of stitches was the best bet, but I was oh so wrong. We were not the sickest in the bunch. In fact, teenagers with sprains were more of a priority than our child. We were there from 9 pm to 3 am and the entire experience was a miserable, horrible say the least. I felt like I was dealing with the most ignorant, uncaring human beings on the planet. It took hours to answer the simplest questions and it seemed like they needed to consult everyone and their mothers before we could get a straight answer. They acted like they'd never seen a mother nurse her child...which was just sad. And right up until the last second they were still trying to decide if Norrin needed stitches or if they could glue it. In the end, he got two stitches and was traumatized in so many ways that I think he reached his quota for the year. Norrin is not a crier, but the lack of sleep, keeping his belly empty in case they needed to sedate him, restraining him for the stitches and the actual stitches themselves turned my child into a whimpering mess. In addition to all that, his sleep schedule was thrown for a total loop. He slept until 11 am the next day and napped from 5 pm- 7 pm. I tried to keep it quiet and low stress all day and he seemed to be more than happy with that idea. It was after 11 pm before he was able to sleep that night. Wednesday was Moms Group at my doula's house. Her son, Henry is about a year older than Norrin, but they are the same size. I told Todd that this Moms Group was basically a Fight Club for our son. These two were so rough and tumble with each other...I swear Amy and I spent the entire time yelling at our kids. There were many tears from both our boys. They hit, they pushed, they slapped, they threw numerous objects at each other, they were incapable of sharing, they snatched things away from each other constantly. The whole time I just didn't want another trip to the ER for stitches. Other than that, I had a great time chatting with Amy and the other moms :). Yesterday, Todd took off from work to get some things done. I did some work around the house, he drove Norrin around the neighborhood since there was no way he was gonna sleep with both the parents around to play with, he got us some lunch, he got a haircut, we had dinner together and Norrin got a bath...his first since he got his stitches. During his bath, he pointed to the towel bar and asked, "what's that?". I said, "its a towel". He said, "hoo, hoo" and I burst out laughing. "No, Norrin, not an owl, a towel". Even with his minimal vocabulary, he's starting to say the funniest things. And as for today, we went to AC Moore this morning. It was rainy and overcast, but I wanted to take him someplace where he could run around a bit. I always think I'm going to find great projects to do with him, but truthfully, he's just not quite old enough. I picked up a few stamps though and some 99 cent stickers...and a little bit more yarn for me :). I'm thinking of trying my hand at knitting socks. I'm terrified of trying to figure that out, but I think once I got into it I would love it. We'll see. So, that's about it. I have to work tomorrow and Sunday, but then I'm off for an eleven day stretch. Todd's birthday is next weekend...I'm already plotting. And now that I've found our charger, there will be many more pictures of the star of our show, Norrin Radd.

Trying on visors at AC Moore.

Ahhh...yeah, that's backwards, Norrin.

Norrin's "injury"...he keeps picking at the stitches and its all I can do to keep some antibiotic ointment on it.


Amy Mae said...

Fight club for little boys! I love it!! Henry fell asleep standing up after you left lol. Socks aren't that hard to knit, they just take a while because you knit them on toothpicks.

lilpixie said...

I don't know why I'm so intimidated by them. They would be such a useful thing to learn...especially with a child whose feet grow every two seconds. Norrin passed out two minutes into the ride home...maybe we got something here, Amygirl. First rule of fight club, you don't talk about fight club :).