Monday, September 15, 2008

Resistance is Futile

Never in my life have I ever seen a child fight sleep the way Norrin does. All morning has been a battle against a nap. He snacked throughout the morning. Then, he helped Mommy load the dishwasher. Then, he helped Mommy empty her tupperware cabinet (I guess he didn't like the way they were stacked?). Finally, he started his sleepy eye rub/head shake. So, I tried to nurse him (no luck), then I tried to rock him (still wasn't buying it) and for my last ditch effort, I tried singing while employing the firm but soothing back rub (whatever, Mom). So, I put Norrin down and he proceeded to play with every toy in the living room for about another half an hour. Then, he climbed on the couch with me, looking exhausted and ready to cuddle. Little did I know that when I started to nurse him that he would make one last attempt to avoid sleep. As he nursed, he began the I Won't Go to Sleep Gymnastics. I don't know how many of you have seen this, but its an extensive performance in which Norrin stays attached to the breast while weaving an intricate web of leg extensions, arm circles and full body flips. Its quite a little bit of choreography, but it usually only succeeds in making him more tired and he is currently sleeping. Still he kept it going until 10:30 and that in itself is pretty impressive :).

No comments: