Friday, October 3, 2008

Never Again

Why am I such a glutton for punishment? This is probably the tenth time I've gone to the grocery store with Norrin and left feeling like I forgot half the stuff I went in for because Norrin acted up and I rushed through the aisles. Every mom knows grocery shopping with a little one is impossible...I've been told a thousand times by other mommies that I should leave my lil guy with his daddy while I shop...but I still think I can get it done quickly and efficiently enough to avoid a scene (such a fool). I didn't need much during this trip...a loaf of bread, some eggs...but I still rushed out of there before I could grab some turkey for my hubby (who wants a vegetarian picking out their lunchmeat anyway?). Truthfully, I'd like to avoid the car altogether...Norrin has no interest in being in his carseat. There's an entire world out there that he needs to explore and strapping him down in a carseat or a grocery cart is something he has absolutely no interest in whatsoever. And then I'm the moron who acts surprised when he pitches a fit. Yesterday, we took a ten minute trip to Target. Halfway through the ride, I stopped in a huge parking lot because he was crying so hard he started gagging. As soon as I got him out of the car, he ran all over the parking lot picking up tree branches twice his size and chasing leaves blowing in the wind. I let him play for a good half an hour (what else do I have to do with my day off ?), but as soon as I put him back in that carseat he started the gagging cry (I won't be fooled twice, dammit). I already know that my mother is reading this and laughing because I got a stubborn, headstrong, tricky little troublemaker...just like me. On the other hand, I love his curiosity because he forces me to stop and appreciate even the littlest details of this planet- he loves the sound a stick makes when its scraped against a tree :). Of course, I will never again take my child to the grocery store.

1 comment:

Amy Mae said...

Oh that post made me laugh! Taking kids to the grocery store is worse than a root canal in my opinion. Henry is so much like Norrin - we went shopping on Tuesday (I made Ed come with us to corral the kids) and Ed was even amazed at what a monster Henry becomes when he crosses the threshold of the grocery store. I'd tell you it gets better, but...