Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Great Outdoors

Last Thursday was so beautiful that Norrin and I just had to get outside. So, I decided to take him to the zoo. We got stuck in traffic, but sang the whole way there (Norrin is really good at making the sounds of the animals on Old MacDonald's farm). There were so many parents with strollers that I took the bare minimum and strapped Norrin onto my back in his mei tai carrier. We had another long wait in the ticket line, but once we were in the zoo, I let Norrin free. He loved the animals so much. He didn't want to leave the reptile house, he kept waiting for polar bears to swim by, he growled at the black bear, quacked at the ducks, looked at the flamingos from every angle...it was a blast. However, the one thing he did the longest and seemed to enjoy the most was dig in the dirt. We drew pictures in the dirt with sticks, built little twig forests and used our hands as bulldozers. At one point, we both just leaned back and looked up at the sky through the tree branches and we had a nice little quiet moment there...then it was back to playing in the dirt. I let him dictate where we went and how long we stayed in each location. By two o'clock, he was exhausted. I nursed him in a quiet corner of the zoo then put him in his carrier so he could lean against my chest and fall asleep...and that's just what he did.


Dirt drawings by Norrin Radd.

A twig forest in progress.


You really gotta dig in there!




Hmmm...this is an interesting result.


Don't know if I really care for this.

No comments: